Tuesday, September 23, 2008

First handmade bird


Back from a quick trip to Houston, TX. We left Thursday morning at 11 am, got into Houston, with generators, at 1:30 pm. Loaded up with piope and came back to ND. Home at 7:15 am Sunday. About 3000 miles. Lots of damage in Houston from hurricane Ike. Power was off at all of the truck stops. The people who we hauled the generators for shared a BBQ feast with us. Wasn't that sweet? We took the load of pipe out so we wouldn't have to sit the weekend there with no electricity. We do carry food in the truck, soups, milk, cereals, sandwich meats but it's nice to have a bathroom to tinkle in occasionally, lol. We put a microwave in this winter and it is so handy for heating things up.
I really like how this one turned out. It's not one othe lessons I am doing but I love all the birds everyone is doing now days so had to try one. I am too cheap apparently to buy the chip board blanks so made one from the back of an empty legal pad. Glued it on using Traci Bautista's Collage Pauge. Used brown chal;k to age the aedges. The back ground is done on torn newspaper pages, 4x4 inches, glued together with glue sticks. An idea I got from checking out Kiwi Carole's blog which sent me to Donna's blog. Very neat little video to watch. I then used Carand'ache neocolorll 's to color the background. Smeared them around using a paper towel. Hubby was like what the heck are you doing? lol. The neo colors I used were salvaged from my daughter's art supplies from high school as I haven't found any in Bismarck yet. Out of 10 in the original tin, there are bits and pieces of 6 colors. Anyhows.... I am working on a book for a friend and this is one of the pages. She must be special cuz she gets my first bird. I made the pages in the truck with various newspapers I read across the country. I think this is from Steele, where I live but there are pages from Knoxville, TN in there too. I cut the letters from a Farmers Almanac. Circles of words are from a dictionary and book, circled with brown marker and then brown chalk. A bit of sequin waste(punchinella) from skybluepink. I hope she likes it. Off to get a shower for our rental. Hopefully get some art done tomorrow while Lance goes fishing. Had a hard time sleeping last night as we had a very loud thunderstorm going on. Our Mother dog, Kringala, is scared stiff of them and whines terribly. Poor thing. Her and Lance almost got hit but a lightening bolt when we were camping. She hasn't been the same since. Have a great day. Hugz, Scary

3 comments:

carole brungar said...

HEY! This newspaper page is really cool!! I think it's effective and I love the bird - no matter what he's made of! haha
3 cheers for recycling!!
Carole :)

Cindy said...

Wow, That turned out really cool.

Retro Cafe' Art Gallery said...

Cheri! I LOVE this! And you made the birdie yourself! TOO cool!
xoxo,
Kristin